Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Carter Ledge

Woke up a little late, but I still had plans to run up Chocorua via Piper. I brought Spot along because she really needed some exercise, and I knew I would be running slowly. The skies were dark and a light drizzle had started by the time I got to the Piper Trailhead. I think I was even more sore than the day before and realized I was moving too slowly to make it to the summit to be back in time for John to come home. I made the decision to make this an easier run and turned off of Piper at the Nickerson Ledge Trail, which has a brief, steep climb up before some really easy running through evergreens on soft ground. After about a mile, it ends at the Carter Ledge Trail which I followed up to the top of Carter Ledge.
Spot on Carter Ledge

I thought this picture was cool because it looks like it's glowing behind me (even though there's nothing "glowing" about me; I'm surprised it wasn't a dark cloud). You can see the sweat on my shirt. Muggy. 
From there we turned around and headed back the way we came. I took a short jaunt out on the Weetamoo Trail to the brook so that Spot could take a swim to cool off. Then we ran back to the trailhead from there. 5.7 miles, 1771ft of elevation gain. Pretty easy "recovery" run from the night before.

Tonight was supposed to be the annual Kennett Challenge at the middle school. The White Mountain Milers vs Kennet's XC team vs Fryeburg's XC team. It's a two-mile run on part of the XC course. I've won this in the women's division the last 2 years, and it's something I was looking forward to, but, unfortunately, with the thunderstorms predicted, they decided to postpone the event until Wednesday. I was so bummed since Wednesdays are my 24-hour shift. :( Now, I can't run it. I'm pretty disappointed, especially since there was no rain, nor thunderstorms, during what would have been the race time, but I understand why they did it. A thunderstorm did roll in around 6:30pm, so it was close. They made the right call, but at around 5:30pm tomorrow night, I'm going to be sulking.

It rained with thunderstorms for most of the day until around 2pm, when the sun came out. John and I decided to go up to Storyland for a few hours. The weather was perfect while we were there, but the place was empty! I think we rode the Roar-O-Saurus roller coaster 6 times in a row. Love that thing!! We did a few other rides and walked around. A small rain shower started just as we drove away, so we hit it perfectly today. I picked up my paycheck from Bartlett-Jackson Ambulance while we were up there then went home to get the dogs before going to John's ninja class. I took the dogs on a short walk while John was in his last ninja class of the summer, then they had a pizza party to celebrate the end of the session.

We got home to find Chill tied up in my driveway. WTF. But whatever. He was fine. I'm just glad he wasn't stuck out in a thunderstorm. I hit up my second weight training workout for this week. Biceps, triceps, back and legs. This one was tough. As you can see from the above picture, I have no biceps or triceps anymore, so that's going to take some work. Ha ha. The next workout is legs and shoulders, but I'm not sure if I will get to that before Sunday. I have a race on Saturday, and I don't want to be too sore, so I might need to just wait until then for my next workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment