Friday, November 13, 2015

South Doublehead Hike

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Got up earlier than usual so that I could go to The Mill to aqua jog. I woke John up to go and once we got there, he sat on the couch upstairs with his computer like he always does. I headed to the pool. Within about 5 minutes, the woman working the front desk, whom I'd never seen before, came down pretending to straighten things out. I knew immediately that she was wanting to say something about John being upstairs. I could tell by her demeanor. So I just waited. And sure enough she finally got up the nerve to say something. "Is that your son upstairs?" Yes, obviously. You saw us both come in together. I only said, " Yes." "It would be better if he were down here because I can't be up there the whole time." I smiled in my head. She didn't ask me a question. Therefore, the ball was in my court. "He sits up there all the time. He doesn't need to be watched." She had nothing. I win. John stayed where he wanted to be, and I continued aqua jogging. Hopefully, I don't have to deal with her again this weekend. I had planned to aqua jog for an hour, but just before the 45 minute mark, I started to have some pain in my injury. This was odd to feel aqua jogging, but I didn't want it to hurt more, so I stopped at 45 minutes.

We went home. John's best friend came over to play, so I decided to push our planned hike to later in the afternoon and just take the dogs up Heavenly Hill to get them taken care of. I had to leash Spot the whole time since it's hunting season. That was tough because she kept pulling on the leash and hurting my injury, but I dealt with it.

Once back, I showered, packed the day pack and drove up to Jackson to hike South Doublehead. I was kind of lost in thought, though, and ended up driving up Town Hall Rd instead of Dundee Rd. I didn't realize it until I hit the Forest Service Rd where I turned around. Just happened to see Kevin Tilton's car parked there, so that was funny. (I also saw Kevin's car at D'Angelo's on Wednesday. I might have to dedicate an entire blog post to Kevin Tilton's car sightings. I mean, how can you miss this thing?)
The most obvious car in the Valley
I drove back down Town Hall and hit Dundee Rd for the drive to Jackson. North Doublehead was one of my regular hikes with John in 2007, so I always took the Old Path. I had totally forgotten about the New Path, but when I passed the sign, I quickly turned the car around and parked there. 1.2 miles up to South Doublehead. Shorter than the Old Path, but it was going to be a steep climb. And steep it was. Over 1300 ft in 1.2 miles. It was slow going since John likes to play as he walks, but we finally made it to the top where we saw our first snow of the season!

We didn't hang out too long at the top because it was cold and windy, and I knew we'd be chasing the light on the way back down. It was super quick, and we got back to the car just as the sun was about to set behind the mountains.

Since we were in Jackson, we drove down to the Shannon Door for dinner. We used to get their pizza to go all the time when I ran the trail race series at Great Glen Trails, so I was craving it.
John and I had a great dinner. He has never wanted to sit down and eat there, but once we did, he said he really liked it. Yes! :) Good way to end our weekend together before my 58 hour week started the next morning.

I'm really trying to get in as much hiking with John that I can before the snow flies. Once that happens, we'll be either backcountry skiing or hitting the slopes at Black Mt. I can't believe it's almost that time again!

No comments:

Post a Comment