Friday, May 8, 2015

Last Long Run

For the second week in a row on Wednesday, I got myself up super early to get in a 5-mile treadmill run. I was about to work 34 hours straight, so there was no way I was going skip a run and take a zero, especially since I had a zero planned for Friday. 5 miles isn't much, but it makes a huge difference in how I feel during my entire shift.

The day was a little slow, but not too bad, and we ended up going out for a local transfer that didn't get us back until after 2am, so I only got about 3.5 hours of sleep. I got up a little early to shower before heading down to Tamworth for the next 10-hour shift. Just as I had soaped up, the pager goes off (without fail) but then started malfunctioning and making an awful noise so that I couldn't hear what we were being toned for. I came flying out of the shower, grabbed my towel (but hardly covered myself in it) and ran out of the bathroom so that I could hear the radio on the living room. Totally shocked my partner (thank goodness she's a woman!) as I almost ran into her in the buff. It was really funny. It turned out just to be the tones for calling crews back to the Bayle Mt fire. Phew. I thought I was going to have to go on a 911 covered in soap and with wet, messy hair.

Ended up not getting anymore calls before we both headed down for our Tamworth shift, but we weren't there even 30 minutes before we got toned out for a 911, And our truck was in the middle of getting washed and covered in soap. I'm sensing a trend. Ha ha. I wish I could share stories here of my calls, but, obviously, I can't since it would be a HIPPA violation. Yesterday was just one of those days that reminded me of why I love this job, and why I was dying a slow death working in an office. All of the people I interacted with and the moments, happy, sad, hilarious, fun. Just different every day. It makes life so much better. I was way too isolated in that office. So, needless to say, it was a good day.

By the time 5pm rolled around, I had worked 44 hours in only 3 days of work, and I was ready for a run. It was 80 degrees, and even though I had worked hard to stay hydrated all day, I was still nervous about the run I had planned. I HAD to do one last long run, and it had to be Thursday. So this was it. It had to be done. Hot, tired, whatever. I decided to start my loop with the easiest part first since I knew the temperature would drop as the sun set, and that would be when I hit the climbs. I had just gotten a brand new pair of my favorite road shoes, Brooks PureFlow (3s this time), so I decided to wear those. And, finally, not pink!!
New shoes that aren't pink!

I ran right from the ambulance base down into Freedom on Ossipee Lake Rd to Bennett Rd. Super flat, a lot of downhill. I ran with barely any effort for the first six miles and was hitting a pace just over 7 min miles. Bennett had a few good hills, and then I started a good climb once I was on Watson Hill and Burnham Rd. The temps had started to drop a bit by this point, so I was feeling pretty good. I wasn't pushing myself hard, though. I just enjoyed the view out to the Ossipee Mountains and Chocurua. The sky was hazy from the fire, but it made the lighting beautiful. I looped back to 153 right at Purity Spring and stopped in The Mill to refill my water bottle. This was my first run with water in a long time, and it was a good choice. My last bit of  water(with Nuun) was basically hot by the time I stopped for a refill. It was a really quick stop before I was back on the road up 153 and then onto East Madison Rd. This was a long climb, so I just took it easy. From E. Madison Rd, I turned onto Lead Mine Rd,, which also has some decent climbs, and ran to East Shore Dr, out to Rt 41 for the last mile back to the base which turned out to be EXACTLY 19 miles. I was really surprised at how easy this run was and how good I felt after I was done. I probably could have pushed it at a faster pace, but I really didn't have the energy. It was still decent 7:31/mi pace 1499 ft of elevation gain. Not really a difficult course, though.

Today was my planned zero day, but I didn't rest at all. I slept in until almost 8am and then headed right to the chiropractor.... my old boss. I couldn't believe I was going back there after I said I would never step foot in there again, but if I went anywhere else, I would be charged for an exam, and I didn't want to pay for that. So I bit the bullet and went back to Fryeburg. He is actually a very good chiropractor, and I felt so much better after walking out of there. I think I can handle going there as a patient. As an employee, not so much. I did some Fryeburg shopping while I was there. Picked up a new rake at the hardware store and hit Spice n Grain for more Dandelion Tea, which I drink every night. The owners always look at me suspiciously when I'm in there, and I used to go in there all the time. It's kind of weird. I hope I'm not the only one they look at that way.

Once home, I had more coffee and then went to work with my new rake on my trail up Heavenly Hill. What I thought would take maybe an hour took 3.5 hours, and I only made it 3/4 of the way. And the trail is only 0.6 miles. It was that covered in leaves. I was beat by the time John came home, and I had to stop raking. I even managed blisters on my hands with gloves on.
The worst section before

The worst section after. Not perfect, but it will do.
John and all 3 dogs greeted me out on the trail just as I got back near the house. I had to take about 30 minutes to sit down and eat before showering and making a quick trip to Walmart for a birthday present. The rest of the evening was spent at John's friend's birthday party, and I am now beat. I wasn't even going to write this blog post, but I wanted to get it done. Up early to head to the Merrimack River Trail Race. Looks like the weather will be perfect. Hopefully, I'll have the energy for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment