Friday Night Vertical 2021

Friday Night Vertical 2021

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Week Off Before the Marathon Double

My favorite loop at Castle in the Clouds
I think I had 3 potential races on my calendar for this week, but after the double weekend at Bretton Woods, I decided John and I needed a race-free weekend. With the following two weekends being marathons, I needed to actually attempt to cut it back a bit, and that meant NO RACING. I had a lot of other runs I wanted to do during the week before I did actually follow through on a week of tapering. Everyone knows I don't taper, but with TWO marathons a week apart, I had to be pretty conservative through the weekend and the following week. I needed to feel as close to 100% as possible. With the loss of training from being sick, my only option was to go in feeling good. And fortunately, this was the first week where I felt close to 100%. Couldn't have timed it better. It was like during the middle of the Fell Race, when my breathing suddenly came back, and I felt like I could finally breathe. I also stopped coughing up gunk. Just in the nick of time. A little late to make up for the loss of the speedier stuff I had been building up to 5 weeks prior, but oh well. Just shit luck. I had to make this a quality week! 58.4 miles and 7,198ft of elevation gain.

Monday, October 2, 2017- Hell froze over. I actually got up at 4:30am and got my ass on the treadmill! I woke up ready to run...on a Monday!!! Only 3 miles, but I felt pretty good. 21:57. 7:19/mi avg pace. Didn't feel too hard and added in some elevation every half mile. Woohoo.

The quiet of work during the day would lead to the craziest night. We got our asses handed to us on the latest episode of The People of Ossipee. This could literally be a reality TV show. Haha. Crazy people!! My partner ended up getting punched in the face and a titty twister by one of our patients overnight. The next patient grabbed my ass...and then my thigh since he didn't realize I had turned my ass in the other direction. We got back from those two calls, and my eyes could barely stay open after driving back from the last call. I lied down, and 20 fucking minutes later, we got another 911! 5:30am. I wanted to cry. UGHHH. But off we went. On the way back later, my partner said, "I just checked to see if it was a full moon. " My response, "I did, too!!" Hahaha. Omg. Not only were we up all night, we got out of work 1.5 hours late. I had to stop at Dunkin' Disgusting Donuts on our way back to the base. A quick check of my bank account to see if I had enough money for coffee and a bagel found a nice fraudulent charge had nearly drained my bank account WTF. I had just enough for the coffee and bagel so I paid with my debit card, then called to cancel it and report the charge. WTF. Third time this year for me!! And every time, it's when I've planned out every penny until the next paycheck, and my account is drained. UGH. I ended up getting it back, but not for 48 hours! Grr. Luckily I could scrape together $4 in quarters and a few dollar bills I had to put some gas in my car while I had no debit card. Haha.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017- Well, Monday blended into Tuesday, and I had gotten less than 2 hours of sleep. For some reason, I always have good runs when I'm delirious. I had to cut the run shorter than planned because of getting out of work so late, but it was still good enough mileage. 13.3 miles. I ran down Ossipee Lake Rd and onto Pequawket for a loop my partner showed me the evening before after our call to Danforth Bay. The owner of our company was at the base so we decided to go site seeing to avoid him haha. I realized I had never ventured down this road so we drove it. This would be part of my run. Sweet. What a great loop!! I can't believe I've skipped it all this time. 13.3 miles AND with my last 3.3 miles as my fastest. That never happens. I seemed to be channeling my closest friend who's a pro at this. I'm the positive split queen! 1:37:29. 7:19/mi avg pace. Flat-ish run with only 393ft of elevation gain, but I needed to be done sooner anyway. Haha. Very happy since this would be my last "long" run before Hartford. Nice boost. Of course, a year ago, I would have run that under 7 min pace, but I couldn't think about that. Had to be happy where I was at this point.

I got in my upper body workout then John and I headed up to Citizens Bank in North Conway to make a second attempt at getting something notarized. I had tried the week before, but both notaries were out sick. So this time, I called to make sure they were there. They were. Walked in and had to wait in line for like 10 minutes. In the meantime, one of the notaries goes to lunch. I get up to the counter and was told, "Oh he just left, and the other one is with another customer. Did you make an appointment?" Ugh. I wasn't told I needed an appointment!! Literally a 2 minute transaction! UGH. So I whined a little then told her I would just wait. I'll admit I was annoyed. My old branch in Conway closed, so now it's just a huge pain in the ass driving into North Conway with all of the tourists who never go away now! So much traffic. But anyway, I decided to get my revenge by stealing as many lollipops as possible while I waited. Haha. I did see someone looking at me, so I shot back a "What?" look. Damn right I'm eating lollipops. Many of them!

The first of two handfuls I ate as I waited.
Finally, the guy comes back from lunch, and he quickly does the notary thing. As I walk out, the lady who was also waiting for the notary was sitting there still, so I said to her as I reached into the lollipop container, "I'm stealing as many of these as possible for having to wait so long!" She laughed and I walked out. Take that, Citizens Bank. Hahaha.


It was such a beautiful day, so John and I drove over to Cathedral Ledge road for a walk to Echo Lake and back with Spot and Phoenix. John refused to get in a photo with me except for one which makes me look like I have a T-Rex arm.


Fine! I'll just take a selfie then.
I was super excited on the drive home. The morning before I was chatting with my closest friend as I got my things together. No idea of how Starbucks came up, but I happened to mention that I hadn't been there in over 2 months and how I really wanted a Flat White. Got back to doing stuff and heard a ding on my phone so I walked over to find I had an email with a $10 Starbucks card in it. Honestly, I was a bit taken aback and had to take a moment since this was definitely not expected AT ALL. It's only $10, but it really meant a lot. Like A LOT. So on our way home from our walk, I stopped at Starbucks and got myself a Flat White, and because I'm a nice mom, I shared the gift card with John and got him frappacino. So, thank you! You know who you are. You made my day.



We went home for awhile and then to John's ninja class later. I tried to get some photos, but they came out blurry even with the fast photo taking thing.

John is in red
Wednesday, October 4, 2017- I did NOT get up to run on the treadmill. I was SO tired from the less than 2 hours of sleep on Monday night that there was NO way I could get up before 5:30am. But that didn't mean I wouldn't run. It just meant running at work. Oh, and work. Ugh. I could so go off on a rant, but I don't know who's reading this. But I am shaking me head every Wednesday. I did end up getting that run in on the trail out back. Only planned 3 miles, but I felt so good that I decided to keep going. Literally, .2 miles from being done, the tone dropped. Haha. Raced back to the base hitting 4 miles exactly in a crazy fast avg pace compared to all of my previous runs back there. Just felt so damn good. 31:25. 7:33/mi avg pace and perfectly progressive! Crazy! Threw on my clothes and we drove to the 911 call. I showed up POURING in sweat and still wearing my Hoka's. Haha. Unfortunately, it took us awhile to clear the hospital because Fryeburg Rescue accidentally backed their ambulance into ours. Haha. Very small ding, but we had to write up the accident report with their crew. I was happy I didn't witness it so that I didn't have to write anything. Haha. My partner did, since he watched it happen. And speaking of my partner...it's called personal space. I like to have it. Thanks.



Work shoes for an hour
Thursday, October 5, 2017- I had originally planned to get up and run 3 miles on the trail out back but decided not to. I'd run later after the Club Motorsports detail. My car was in the body shop for some work, and I found out the evening before that it wouldn't be done until late Thursday. Oops. So I decided to borrow an ambulance to get me down to the Tamworth base where I could pick up another ambulance to go to the track. I have to say that was very convenient since I had no other way of getting down there. Haha. I stopped at home first like I usually do to take a shower then headed down to Tamworth.

My "rental"

The "old" A2 (now numbered as A7) in my driveway
I got down to Tamworth and grabbed A4 and found the previous crews had left the tank with a quarter of fuel. Fuckers! It should never be left with less than half. I was mainly mad because I was starving! I had just gotten paid overnight and needed to buy food. That fraudulent charge from Monday had drained my account so that I couldn't buy anything to eat before this morning. Grrr. But I'm a woman who was getting HANGRY so I went to Tedeschi's anyway and got myself some food. I had just enough time to put in enough fuel in A4 to get it over half and then made it to Club Motorsports on time. Another beautiful Thursday there! I was with Eric again so we pretty much just shot the shit all day.


Mike at the track was disappointed when I said I wasn't running the course today, but I told him I had to get back up to North Conway with the ambulance and pick up my car at the body shop. I have to admit it was nice not using my own gas today to go to and from Tamworth, and it was fun driving this particular ambulance around again since it's just a backup truck now, typically collecting dust.

I decided to run from the North Conway base after I got my car from across the street. To go anywhere else meant less daylight. I had planned to run 8, but after sitting so much for the two shifts, I was wicked tight. It took me two miles to loosen up, and I just wasn't feeling it, so I cut it short. I decided to run a quickish pace to make up for the lack of distance so it was still a quality run. 6.6 miles in 47:36. 7:12/mi avg pace. The last 4.6 miles of it were consistent and right around 7:00/mi avg pace, so I was happy with that.

Friday, October 6, 2017- I finally had the perfect day to do one of my favorite long loops. Castle in the Clouds. I realized a few weeks prior that I hadn't done it yet this year so I needed to get it in. Rain was in the forecast, but I seemed to just miss the downpour by the time I started, and the weather was perfect. Just like I like it, I pulled into a completely empty trailhead...only to be crushed when some tourists pulled in the lot and parked RIGHT NEXT TO ME. Why is it my car seems to attract people who want to unnecessarily park right next to it? Huge pet peeve of mine. See above to remind yourself that I like personal space. So the tourists get out of their car and head out to the trail looking very prepared for a hike...

Good luck with that!! Hahaha
I headed out solo. No dogs today. Phoenix had gotten pretty tired on our Bretton Woods run, and with this one being 18 miles, I decided not to chance it, especially with it on the warm side. I ran the same exact  clockwise route I always run, starting with the 4 mile climb up to the top of Mt Roberts. The views were stunning with the clouds still hovering around, but the photos couldn't quite capture it. This long climb will wear you out, so it's tough hitting the summit and knowing it's only 4 down, 14 to go, but the rest is less climbing and even some really long downhill, so it all evens out.


Mt Shaw in a cloud
Lake Winnipesaukee


I ran the ridge line for about 5 miles. It's mostly a mix of up and down on nice footing, so I love this part of the run. Just as I was making my way up the last .3 to the summit of Mt Shaw, I thought of how I've never been up there with other people, so....that meant I got to the summit to find 3 women there. At first I was annoyed since I'm stingy and like summits to myself, but they ended up being pretty cool, and the 4 of us enjoyed the most awesome rainbow I've ever seen in my life. My photos don't do it justice one bit. It was truly amazing, and I spent way longer than I planned up there because of it. I'm not sure where these women were from, but I was helpful in pointing out some of the landmarks they were looking at from up there. I don't mind that since there was a time I was clueless, too.


As soon as I left the summit, the rain started so I put on my rain jacket, only to have the rain stop 2 minutes later. Haha. I made my way back down hitting the summits of Black Snout, Turtleback and then Bald Knob. For some reason unbeknownst to me I always bonk just before the spur trail up Turtleback, no matter what the weather. I don't get it. It's around mile 14 and over 2 hours in, so I guess it's just that point where my body wants a break so I actually sat down on Turtleback for about 5 minutes refueling. I moved on to Bald Knob which I've never had to myself to find it completely empty. Haha. A little over 2 miles from there, and I was back at my car. 18 miles. 3:12:26 moving time which is about average for me there. 3,403ft of elevation again. Another Castle in the Clouds loop in the books. Haha.

I was totally drained and had time to go by the coffee shop in Sandwich for a coffee and a blueberry-cream cheese loaf before driving over to The Community School to pick up John. Once again, he was so happy. I was talking to the director while he rode around on his bike, happy as a clam. He showed me a "troll hole" before we left that you could climb in and peak out of. My vibe from this place was spot on. He really loves it. Of course it's only one day a week, but one day is something, and I'm so happy to see him enjoying it. He enjoyed it so much in fact that he was OUT COLD quickly and for hours after that. We both had a full day....so I once again bagged mowing the lawn for at least the 45th day in a row. Haha.


Saved one of my favorite Trillium beers from Rachel Flaksman for my post-run beer. 
Saturday, October 7, 2017- Slept in and went out for an easy and very slow 5 mile run in through Cranmore Shores. 39:59. 7:53/mi avg pace. I love easy days...sometimes. Haha. I did what would be the second of only two days of upper body and abs this week, right after the run.

It was so nice to have laid back day with John today. We took our annual trip to the Corn "Maize" at Sherman Farm. He's been to it every Fall since 2010, and we also went in 2007 when just the two of us lived here, so it was of kind of sad when, about 10 minutes after we had been there, John said, "Why do I feel like I'm too old for this?" So I made him do Phase 1 of the corn maze to hopefully kick in some fun. They have these trivia sheets to help you along the way. After looking at all the different subjects, I was like, "Why would I pick something difficult?" So I grabbed the tiny tots one. Hahaha. John and I thought it was hilarious. The first question asks, "What am I?" Picture of a pig. 3 multiple choice questions. Hahaha.


These hint sheets aside, I don't know if the corn mazes have gotten easier or if we've just gotten better at them, but I really think we just know how to do them. Especially after seeing the hoard of morons in there who couldn't figure it out, I'd like to think we've just gotten smarter. Haha. Only one quick mistake in Phase 1, and we were out of there. Easy. Then the same thing happened in Phase 2. Easy. We even did it faster, and it's supposed to be the hardest one. In and out boom. I did win a race overall here once that went through the corn maze. 2013 maybe? I can't even remember. But that time I walked it the weekend before, so it was kind of cheating. Haha.

Forced mom and kid selfie


For someone who thought he was too young for the place, he seemed to enjoy the hour he spent on the jumping pillow after that. Haha. And he wanted to play corn hole after that. So, he still had a fun time. We didn't go to the pumpkin patch, but I didn't want to pay double the cost of the pumpkins anyway, and he had no interest.

I'm kind of dumb, but I really wanted to go get beer at Saco River Brewing, even though the Fryeburg Fair was going on, and traffic was backed up. After hitting Walmart, I pretty much drove about 15 miles out of my way via back roads to get to Fryeburg. It was so dumb, but I still did it. What would have been a quick drive over from Sherman Farm took about an hour round trip. Haha But I walked out with two howlers. The porter would get me through mowing the lawn in the dark. Yes, I finally had a reason to mow my lawn. Pat Quinn was coming up for the day to run Chocorua with me. I couldn't have a guest come up with my lawn looking like that so I waited until it was down to the wire and cut it in the dark. I'm procrastination queen....and positive split queen. Wait. Why is my queen-ness so negative?! :)

Yes, I drank the entire howler.
Sunday, October 8, 2017- Pat showed up pretty early for our run so I rushed to get my coffee and get dressed. John was going to stay home while we ran. Since he passed the test the week before, I decided to give it another go. The weather was pretty shitty, but sometimes those are fun runs, and it meant the trail wouldn't be crowded with people. It did literally pour rain the entire run, but the air was warm so we never really got cold until we popped out on the summit in crazy wind and rain. That was a quick stop. We had taken the Piper Trail up so I chose to take us on the loop down via Liberty, Hammond and Weetamoo for the way back. I find Piper boring on the way down, and loops are more fun anyway. We ended up with around 8 miles total. Totally soaked to the bone when we got back to the car.


After we were dried out, Pat, John and I went to the new place in town, Barley & Salt. Finally a place with a lot of decent beers on tap!! North Conway has needed this for awhile. Other than the Moat, anywhere you go in this town has a really weak beer selection. I really liked it, and, of course, a keg kicked on one of the beers we ordered. This ALWAYS happens to me. ALWAYS. Haha.

Clown Shoes Space Cake
Pat had to head home to Rhode Island as soon as we got back to my house. It was a fun day to end a race-free, mostly relaxing week. I needed a week like that before Hartford and Baystate. I had no idea what to expect out of myself from either of those.

Here's a funny thing an old friend from the Fayetteville Running Club back when we lived on Fort Bragg in NC saw from afar while she was reading the latest issue of Runner's World. My Vermont City Marathon ad photo from last year! Haha. I had no idea! So I got my (unwanted) copy of the magazine in the mail yesterday and looked through it. Puhrity shuur this girl is trying to one-up me!


"I'm a Runner," huh, Karlie?? Well, so am I! And just because you're a 25 year old super model does NOT mean you should have your own spread that's WAYYYY bigger than mine. WTF. I mean come on. Look at my 40 year old bod!! Haha. I challenge Karlie to a marathon face-off. VCM 2018. Bring it on, beeatch!

Hmm. Had a lot of different song choices for this week, but I finally settled on one that someone played for me about a year and a half ago. It brings back a good memory.


Addendum: Patrick Quinn is scum of the Earth. If you happen to come across him on a dating site or at a race, run far away. He's a man whore, a narcissist and a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment